October 25, 2011

why is the lid smiling at me?



I can typically consume up to 6 cups of coffee a day. The problem is I also love a good deal. I'm a faithful Starbucks lover and spent three years of my life behind the counter there. But I heard this week that McDonalds has this deal where you get a large coffee and muffin for 2.00.  Desperate times call for desperate measures! I can barely get a tall Verona for that!  Needless to say I went to McDonalds and was handed a the biggest cup of hot coffee I've ever seen in my life and a muffin for 2.00. Amazing. I mean yes, it's weird that you're smelling fries in the drive-thru waiting for your coffee. Yes, I hate that the lid is smiling at you.  The muffin probably has 800 calories in it, and I still went and sat in the Starbucks parking lot and stole their wifi. All in all, McDonalds coffee is probably the best thing on their whole menu, and even though it's not replacing Starbucks anytime in my life it's a decent alternative.

Thank you Jesus for a cheap cup of coffee. Today I need you more then I need Starbucks or McDonalds.  This hot, black, delicious liquid might be the answer to my headache but your Word is the only answer to my wandering soul.

[For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.] 1 Cor. 13:12

Driving through the fog to work this morning I was reminded of this verse. It was impossible to see. I could see the two cars in front of me and nothing else.  I could have seen the two cars and said. Well those are the only important ones to see. And kept going at my continued speed and trusted completely, only  in what I could see. But everyone would agree that, that is a   foolish, dangerous, idea that is gauremteed to end badly.

Oh Father, forgive me for placing all my trust in the two cars ahead of me. For relying on my own strength and vision for the future. You're showing me glimpses of what it's like when you lift the fog and my heart is eager for that day. Make me dissatisfied with my tunnel vision, grant me grace to wait on you for clear direction. Make me most concerned with seeing you clearly before anything else.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment