October 14, 2011

good morning america



This morning I got up early and dropped dad off at the Bellingham airport. I had some time to kill so I hit up a starbucks and found myself in Jeremiah.

[Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.]

This is one of my favorite passages in scripture. It is rich in imagery and dripping in promise. It's a breath of life in days of discouragement and it's a slap in the face in days of self sufficiency. 

The first time I read this I couldn't get the imagery of a of a tree that's wrinkled with age.  It's trunk is bent, leaning slightly down towards the stream; as if it's longing for even more of the refreshment that the water brings. The tree is worn but beautiful, the layers of tough bark have been weathered down by storms. So much so that the grain in the wood is exposed and smooth. The appearance of the tree has evolved and changed over the years, but the structure remains strong. It's roots still run deep into the stream and delivers youthful strength to the entire tree. This tree is planted by water so it doesn't need to consider weather patterns, it doesn't need to anxiously watch the skies for signs of refreshment, it's secure. It's life comes abundantly through it's roots growing deeper everyday, into the stream. 

Father, I need to be reminded of this image. I need to remember that you have planted me by the stream. I'm secure in your promise to faithfully provide, you are the river that refreshes my soul. You are using storms and uncertainty to peel off layers of tough bark and pride. You're after my heart. Lord rid me of  the anxieties in my heart. Help me to stop staring at the skies anxiously waiting for rain when you have all  ever need. Crush the lies that spring up when the temperatures rise. You promise to provide all I need and keep my leaves green, you promise great fruit for those who's trust is in you. 

Thank you for planting me by the stream. Grant me grace to always find my life and joy in your glorious flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment