August 30, 2012

love is.


 





[ Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. ] 1 Cor. 13

Father I don't know how to love like that, I don't even know where to start. I am so grateful that you pursue me with that kind of love. You are patient and kind, you rejoice with me, you bear all, endure all, and are faithful to see me through. There has never been such an example of love as when you sent your only Son to die for my sin.  

So how are we called to love? How does a broken person move towards another broken person in love? Musician, Ingrid Michaelson has a line her song "Breakable " that always painted a vivid picture to me of how frail we are..."Have you ever thought about, what protects our heart? Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts." Don't get me wrong, the human body is a complex, incomprehensible design that is another clear demonstration of God's love for us. But we are fragile, we hurt, we bend, and we break.  

 I need to remember that I am broken, that I am your design and I'm living for that day when I will be made whole, I will be complete and restored. How my heart longs for that restoration. That day when I won't hurt others anymore, when I will be free from the bondage of sin, when I won't be breakable anymore. But until that day help me look to truths like Cor 13 and see a promise of your love, and also a command to love. 

C.S Lewis writes, [I think what one has to remember when people “hurt”, is that in 99 cases out of a 100 they intended to hurt very much less, or not at all, and are often quite unconscious of the whole thing. I’ve learned this from the cases in which I was the “hurter.” When I have been really wicked and angry and meant to be nasty, the other party never cared or even didn’t notice. On the other hand, when I have found out afterwards that I had deeply hurt someone, it has dearly always been quite unconscious on my part.]

Father inevitably I will be the"hurter" or the "hurt" at some point in the future, probably today. I pray for strength to love like you command me to. Help me to be patient, kind, humble, rejoicing in the strength and success of others, building others up, believing all things, hoping in all things, enduring all things, help me realize that the way I love, should never have a expiry date. I can only do these things by through you.

No comments:

Post a Comment